Monday, August 12, 2013

How to Make Fork Hooks

I've seen so many interesting ways to reuse forks, so I decided to give it a whirl and make my own coat rack of sorts out of some extra forks that I had. Less silverware in the cabinets = less dishes to wash! Plus I get the added bonus of more storage space for whatever need be.

I looked around on the internet for tutorials on how to bend forks, and amazingly I couldn't find too many that were useful to me.  There were some which involved using a blowtorch and other blacksmithing materials, of which I do not own, then there were others that simply said to bend the fork using a pair of pliers.  The pliers method was the one I was going for, but for some reason unbeknownst to me, I couldn't figure out how to bend the forks without breaking them, and none of the tutorials mentioned anything about breakage.  It just seemed as though everyone had a miraculous way of bending forks into beautiful shapes without the tines breaking.  I finally figured out that there is a method to it, and after countless broken forks and a few blisters I had it downpat.

These are the basic materials you will need:



The obvious....forks!  I used 3 for my rack, but you can use as many as you want.  I found the cheaper the fork, the easier it was to bend.  Since I have about 20 forks in my kitchen utensil drawer, it was easy for me to surrender a few to my project.



Tools.  A hammer to pound the fork tines flat, different size pliers for the bending process, a clamp for holding the fork still while you're bending it (although I would recommend a vice grip if you have one), a drill for drilling holes into the forks and then onto the board, and of course, an old piece of board that you have laying around the house.

----------------------

Now, the trick to bending the forks with your bare hands and a pair of pliers, is to do it slow and strong.  I quickly learned that if I went too fast, the tines would break very easily.  I originally wanted to bend all the tines sideways, modeled after a beautiful picture I had seen of a fork hook where they were bent into a celtic knot.  I soon realized if I wanted to do that, I would need to learn the art of blacksmithing, which I may do sometime in the future, but for the time being, I needed to keep it simple. 

I found it much easier to bend the tines forward.  After much trial and error, this was my first successful hook.  I clamped the handle of the fork to my workbench to hold it still, then I grabbed the very end of the tine with a pair of pliers and slowly began bending in a spiral like motion.  It takes a lot more strength than I realized, so I really had to find the right balance of speed and muscle to get it to bend smoothly.  As I said before, if you go too fast,        THE TINE WILL BREAK!


After I got comfortable with bending forward, I decided to give it another try on bending sideways, just a little bit.  I couldn't get it to spiral, but I was able to get it to bend just enough to give it the illusion of being a hand giving the peace sign.  I thought it looked cute, and appropriate for my son's room, so I left it at that.  I picked the three best looking forks, then bent the handles upward to form the hook.  I then drilled holes into the forks, figured out where I wanted to position the forks on the board, then drilled holes on the board.  Then I just drilled the forks into place!  I was going to paint the board, but I liked the rustic unfinished look it had to it.  I sanded it down a bit to give a smoother look, and....

done!!



No comments:

Post a Comment